I am making a narrative game in the style of traditional top down RPG’s. Why am I making a narrative game? Because A.J. is trying to knock out two birds with one stone.
In my Asian American Studies class, I need to create a personal narrative for me final assignment. However, the fun thing about this assignment is that we cause use whatever medium we want to tell the story.
So I thought since I need to make a game and write a narrative story, I could combined my two projects into one.
Progress has been unbelievably quick. In less than 24 hours I have been able to make basic player movement and collision. Today I added loading between multiple scenes and thanks to code written for past projects, I was able to have a polished dialogue system in the game within the first few hours of prototyping.
Since I am able to wiz through the early stages of prototyping, this will leave me more time to make a semi polished experience by the end of the semester. I like to think of this project as a longer than usual game jam.
Challenges for myself
I think it’s safe to say I would be cheating if I wasn’t trying to make something I hadn’t previously made before. So for this project the big challenge is going to be:
- Actually finishing the project in less than a month. Quality will have to be sacrificed I think in the name of time.
- A branching dialogue system. Yes or no, prompts and responses from NPC’s according to those responses.
- A functional Inventory system.
- Quests/tasks that control progression of story.
- A save system that keeps track of all this.
God help me.