Over the past few days, I’ve been working on polishing the rules by actually formally writing out all of my ideas for mechanics so far into a mini-rule book. I’ve also started attempting to make some assets for the game. Unfortunately, this is where I’ve run into my first real problems. I don’t really have access to any graphic design tools, and I don’t have any art skills in the first place. The first thing I attempted to make was the blueprint board, where players can place their built blueprints. Since I didn’t have any better tools, I ended up using Paint.net. See the image below:
As you can see, it doesn’t look great because that rocket ship was made by layering a bunch of the default shapes you can make in Paint. I’ve decided that moving forward, I’m not going to worry too much about the art, since I feel like it’s not a very efficient use of my time. It takes a long time for me to put out something that doesn’t look very good in the end anyways, so I will try to focus more on designing interesting mechanics. In the immediate future, I think I will use something like http://mtgcardsmith.com/ to create cards in the format of Magic cards that can display the information I need them to.
Another issue I ran into was that after researching space shuttles for a little bit, I realized that I just don’t have enough understanding of the hard sciences and material engineering behind the subject to make a game that is accurate or compelling. In order to fix this, I’ve slightly shifted the theme. Instead of players being engineers, they are now aliens on the planet of Stronoe Z8, working for their planetary government’s space program. This gives me the freedom to just make up whatever resources I want, and it lets me make up wacky blueprints without having to worry about realism.
By the end of the week, I plan to have a set of “first-draft” blueprint cards finished, as well as a complete rule book for the first version of Laureate.